AbstractThe goal of this assignment is to examine the meaning of race and ethnicity for U.S.-born students in local school communities. You will investigate whether race/ethnicity affects where students live and attend school, how race shapes students’ achievement, educational attainment, and everyday school experiences; and what policies or reforms are being...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 400
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesSuggesting where to find particular sources was really important to students’ success on this assignment. That requires doing some advanced research on relevant websites, local libraries, and search terms (for online research) and providing the information to students so they know where to start looking. I use part of a class period to discuss each...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Understand the significance and meaning of race/ethnicity in local school communities;
- Connect and apply sociological theory and research on race/ethnicity to a local issue or problem;
- Develop research and writing skills
- Conduct original research on race/ethnicity in local schools, synthesize learning in a short academic paper;
- Conduct original research on race/ethnicity in local schools; summarize relevant sociological theory and academic research; show how local research findings support, challenge, or extend sociological theory and academic research in short academic paper
- Conduct original research on race/ethnicity in local schools; present learning in short academic papers; explain and analyze course concepts and local research findings; provide evidence (quotes and examples) from readings and local research; revise