AbstractThis set of assignments allows students to practice the steps of creating a research proposal, including formulating a research question, reviewing previous studies related to the topic (aka a "literature review"), and creating a plan for data collection (aka a "research protocol"). Detailed writing assignments are due throughout the semester, and are...
- Subject Area(s):
- Research Methods
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 400
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesThere are many possible variations to this basic assignment outline. Although we recommend assigning no fewer than these three assignments if you desire for students to complete a practice proposal, instructors could also assign any of these assignments independently as part of a course where no final proposal is required. Alternatively, an instructor...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Formulate a clear, specific research question or topic
- Summarize and synthesize previous research on a topic
- Identify an appropriate method for answering a research question (including advantages and disadvantages compared to other method options)
- Students write a research question with explanation of their choice, receive feedback, and have an opportunity to revise for the final paper
- Students practice summarizing and synthesizing information from at least 3-6 academic sources, receive feedback, and have an opportunity to revise for the final paper
- Students choose a method for collecting data and explain/defend their choice, receive feedback, and have an opportunity to revise for the final paper