AbstractThe purpose of this course is to take a broader view of the field of education by considering some of the major educational dilemmas of our time. We will discuss the purposes of schooling (what we expect students to know and be able to do); the disparities in students’ school experiences, achievement, and attainment by race and social class; and how...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 400
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesThis class is heavily discussion-based, encouraging students to voice their perspectives and support their positions by relying on personal experience, the course content, and their original research. To provide context for class discussions, I incorporate short presentations with national and local data on the current topic as well as the perspectives...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Relevance: Offer points of connection between the course and students’ personal and professional lives, and vice versa; Context: Opportunity for placing individual experiences (as learners and educators) in the broader social and historical context;
- Diversity: Develop understanding of diverse communities and youth, Gain insight into the experiences and perspectives of students diverse by race, social class, and immigration status;
- Critical Thinking: Enhance critical thinking skills and promote reflection
- In class discussions and research assignments, encourage students to share their previous educational experiences, current student teaching work, and social observations--and relate these to the course content;
- Conduct original research on local school communities, investigating patterns of educational opportunity and achievement, historical trends, social class, race, and immigration, Synthesize learning in written assignments and class presentations;
- Class discussions and assignments that encourage students to use evidence, incorporate multiple perspectives, explore disciplinary modes of thought, test theories against real-life examples, and reflect on their personal views.