Submission Preparation ChecklistAs part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- Submission files associated with activities or assignments are combined into a single pdf when possible. The submission file sizes are not greater than 4MB. The submission file types are one of the accepted file types: jpg, png, jpeg, gif, doc, docx, pdf, xls, xlsx, mpg, mpeg, avi, rtf, mov, txt, ppt, pptx, mp3, odt, ods, and odp.
- Where available, URLs for the references have been provided.
- The text is single-spaced; uses a 12-point font; employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines and ASA Style Guide.
- Only the first 50 words of your abstract will display on the TRAILS website. Users must download your resource to read the full abstract. Please make sure your first 50 words effectively summarize your resource. When possible, please move any information that requires citing to Usage Notes rather than the Abstract.
- We recommend you compose your abstract, learning goals, goals assessment and usage notes off-line in text-only format, and then cut and paste into the submission forms. This will prevent you losing work if the system times out due to several minutes of inactivity.
TRAILS Author Agreement
The American Sociological Association ("ASA") is pleased to have the privilege of publishing your contribution (the "Work") in its digital library, TRAILS: Teaching Resources and Innovations Library for Sociology ("TRAILS" or "Digital Library"). This License Agreement sets forth the terms and conditions regarding the inclusion of your Work in TRAILS.
You retain all copyright rights in and to the Work. You hereby grant the ASA the right to reproduce and publicly display your Work, in whole or in part, as part of ASA’s Digital Library. You also grant the ASA the right to use your name and biographical information in connection with your Work as part of the Digital Library. In addition, you grant the ASA the right to allow users of the Digital Library to reproduce, distribute, and publicly display your Work, in whole or in part, and to modify your Work and to reproduce, distribute, and publicly display modified versions of your Work for their own purposes. Users of the Digital Library who download your Work are required by their User Agreement to provide proper attribution when using the Work or a modification of the Work.
You hereby waive any claims that you may have against the ASA relating to the use of your Work, your name and/or your biographical information by the ASA and others. You hereby waive any claims that you may have against the users of the Digital Library relating to the use of your Work when used in accordance with the terms of their User Agreement.
You represent and warrant that the Work is original to you, or, if portions are not original to you, that you have the necessary permissions to authorize you to grant these licenses to the ASA and users of the Digital Library. You also represent and warrant that the Work does not violate any law or infringe the rights of any third party, including, without limitation, that the Work shall not constitute copyright or trademark infringement, violate the rights of privacy or publicity, or defame any person or entity. You agree to indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the ASA, its officers, directors, employees and agents, as well as any users of the Digital Library that use your Work, for all damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) that may arise relating to a claim that you breached any of the foregoing representations and warranties.
In addition, all persons who use or publish TRAILS resources are required to abide by the ASA Code of Ethics (www.asanet.org/ethics) as amended from time-to-time, the terms of which are incorporated into and made part of this Agreement.