AbstractCulture Through Everyday Objects is a PowerPoint lecture adaptation of Stephanie Medley-Rath’s class activity "Objects From Everyday Life: A Can of Coca-Cola." This lecture integrates Medley-Rath’s class activity into a broader conversation about culture, and aligns with educational research regarding experiential learning. It first introduces an...
- Subject Area(s):
- Introduction to Sociology/Social Problems
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 100
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesThis resource utilizes a free online sociology textbook, OpenStax.org, to guide students in their exploration of culture in sociology. This lecture can easily be adapted to incorporate other textbook sources, or teaching formats.
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Students will develop their sociological imaginations by understanding culture through an analysis of an everyday social artifact.
- Students will understand components of culture, and theoretical frameworks for studying it.
- Creative writing assignment
- Discussion questions throughout lecture/class activity