“Why Sociology?” is a podcast series for use in sociology classrooms featuring mini-interviews with sociology graduates of all degree levels (AA, BA, MA, PhD) who have taken career pathways beyond academia in applied and clinical careers. The goal of the series is to demonstrate the relevance of sociology to students and to highlight the applicability...
- Subject Area(s):
- Applied Sociology/Evaluation Research, Capstone Courses, Internship/Service Learning, Introduction to Sociology/Social Problems, Occupations/Professions, Other, Public Policy, Sociological Practice, Teaching and Learning in Sociology
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
For this assignment, you will explore episodes from the “Why Sociology?” Podcast, a series of mini-interviews (20 minutes average) intended to provide a realistic perspective and accessible account of the vast field of applied sociology. The goal is to provide insight on vocational possibilities and connect them to sociological skills....
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Gain an understanding of careers in applied and clinical sociology.
- Make connections between personal career aspirations and skills with potential applied sociological careers.
- Understand the “Sociological Toolbox” and connect valuable sociological skills to careers.
- Students will listen to several mini-interviews with applied sociologists and summarize the field of work and the professional role.
- In the discussion assignment, students relate their own career aspirations to the material provided.
- In the discussion assignment, students will examine the sociological literacy framework (American Sociological Association 2018, Ferguson 2016) and specifically connect the sociological toolbox to the material provided.