AbstractThe purpose of this class activity is to engage students in a deeper discussion of the topic of gender and violence, drawing upon their assigned readings and the video documentary. Their first reading presents the "Triad of Men’s Violence," which is based on psychoanalytic theory but which also draws heavily on the socio-cultural perspective of violence....
- Subject Area(s):
- Sex and Gender
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Activity, Lecture, PowerPoint, Video
- Class Level(s):
- College 200
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesTime Required: This discussion requires approximately 2 hours (divided over two class periods).
Required Resources: This discussion draws upon several resources, including:
Kaufman, Michael. 1997. "The Construction of Masculinity and the Triad of Men’s Violence." In Gender Violence: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, edited by Laura...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- To articulate an understanding of the "Triad of Men’s Violence," including the author’s understanding of masculinity/femininity, the purpose of men’s violence, the three points of the triad, and the larger social context in which such violence occurs.
- Students will be able to use the "Triad of Men’s Violence" framework to analyze examples from the movie In the Company of Men.
- Students will be able to engage in a broader discussion of gender and violence based on their viewing of Tough Guise and their reading of "The Socio-Cultural Context of Rape."
- Students are able to articulate their understanding of the reading titled "The Construction of Masculinity and the Triad of Men’s Violence" as reflected in class discussion.
- Students are able to accurately analyze video clips from the movie In the Company of Men in terms of what they’ve learned about the "Triad of Men’s Violence."
- Students successively apply what they’ve learned to a discussion of the documentary Tough Guise and the reading "The Socio-Cultural Context of Rape" and extrapolate this into a broader understanding of gender and violence.