AbstractI assign Evicted in Introductory Sociology. We read the book throughout 3-4 weeks of the course. I do not lecture on Evicted, but instead, I place students in small discussion groups. They discuss the book in their group for 15-25 minutes, and then we discuss the book as a class for an additional 15-25 minutes. I assign students several Evicted...
- Subject Area(s):
- Introduction to Sociology/Social Problems
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Learning Goals and Assessments
- By pairing Evicted with learning activities (e.g., quizzes, in-class discussion, essays, guest speakers), students can gain an in-depth sociological experience in introductory sociology.
- Have students demonstrate an application of introductory sociology themes to an emerging area of sociological interest that has little, if any, coverage in most introductory courses.
- Students will prepare a pre-reading reflection essay and a post-reading application essay.
- Students will complete reading quizzes and online discussion questions.