This is a syllabus for a one (1) unit course required for all Sociology majors, as well as Criminology and Justice Studies majors. The course is listed in the curricular map for students in their second or third year of a 4-year major plan. We designed this course in direct response to student demand for an early professionalizing roadmap on which they...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 300
- Class Size(s):
The ASA (2018) reported that about half of U.S. sociology programs integrate career resources into their curriculum and only about one-third offer a course. The course and syllabus are designed to adapt to the particular needs and capacities of enrolled students in a given semester in which they enroll. Success measures include increasing knowledge...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Develop professional job search materials.
Develop well organized networking and job search systems.
Represent well your skills and experience in a mock interview.
- Increase confidence in professional materials and skills.
- resume and cover letters satisfactorily assessed against rubrics
- populated spreadsheet that includes at least 10 listings linked to professional interests
- complete mock interview and oral assessment of self and peer interview
- increase in student confidence in professional tools and materials as measured on pre and post experience test