AbstractThrough this innovative music project, "Every Generation has a Soundtrack," students learn how songs are consciously constructed to convey messages to a target audience. This project-based learning (PBL) resource provides step-by-step instructions that teach students to deconstruct music for its media message. This project has tremendous flexibility in...
- Subject Area(s):
- Aging/Social Gerontology
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Usage Notes1. Many of the projects carried a force greater than anything I could have imagined. One student wrote about a song that identifies mass shootings as a key source of anguish for this generation, another wrote about a song that depicts the hollow meaning of selfies in a generation preoccupied with social media, and yet another wrote about how this...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Deconstruct song into four components: voice, instrumentation, lyrics, and sound effects
- Analyze and identify the media messages in the song’s four components.
- Create an insight piece that identifies how the different parts of the song shape the media message.
- Formative: Online discussion forum with the question: "Which song are you going to choose and why?" as well as additional prompts outlined in "Instructions: How to Analyze a Song."
- Formative: Exchange rough drafts with fellow student and give feedback using a grading rubric.
- Summative: Create an original insight piece about one song, highlighting how the media messages of the social issues of that era are conveyed through the four components of the music