AbstractMa Vie en Rose is a 1997 French language film with English subtitles. This relatively light and kind-hearted film sympathetically tells the story of Ludovic/Ludo who was born a boy but identifies and wishes to be regarded as a girl. Her parents are accommodating at first, thinking Ludo, who is 7, will outgrow this "phase". But when Ludo’s gender...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 100
- Class Size(s):
Usage Notes1. This film and activity can be used to learn about norms in general, using gender as an example. Some instructors may prefer to use it while teaching about gender. I have used it primarily to present concepts related to norms and it seems to work well because gender is such a familiar example. (Gender performance may be is a concept that is more...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Identify (gender) norms and how they are reinforced in social interaction.
- Understand how we are socialized and how we are socialized with regard to gender in particular.
- Identify sanctions, the consequences that occur when norms are violated.
- In class discussion (or a reflection paper) and on an exam, students are able to describe common gender norms and how other people react in ways that reinforce those norms using examples from the film. (See Usage Note 3 for specific assessment examples.)
- In class discussion (or a reflection paper) and on an exam, students correctly identify ways in which we learn normative behavior and roles. Students can specifically identify ways that Ludo was taught to "be a boy." (See Usage Note 3 for specific asse
- In class discussion (or a reflection paper) and on an exam, students correctly describe sanctions as responses to norm violations. They can identify ways that Ludo and her family were treated in response to Ludo’s identity as a girl. (See Usage Note 3 f