AbstractThis class lecture and assignment aims to teach students how to recognize and cope with microaggressions. Microaggressions are offensive comments or actions directed at minority and other non-dominant groups that are intentional or unintentional and reinforce a stereotype. Research has shown how microaggressive behaviors can have real and lasting...
- Subject Area(s):
- Race, Class and Gender
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Activity
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Learning Goals and Assessments
- The lecture and small group discussions aid students' understandingof microaggressions while encouraging empowerment and self-reflection
- Forum theater and/or short film assignment aims to build group dynamics, further multimedia skills (in the case of creating a short film) and provide opportunity for self expression.
- The small group discussions will yield a list of microaggressions from each group
- Essays from reading assignments may be collected as homework
- Ability to apply sociological understanding of inequalities in the quality and depth of the short films and/or Forum theater.