AbstractIn this activity, small groups of students will analyze photos of Marvel characters (both in the Marvel Cinematic Universe and in their comic book form) to consider what messages are to be gained from popular media about gender and socialization. Once they complete the character analysis portion, in their groups, they will characterize the characters’...
- Subject Area(s):
- Deviant Behavior/Social Disorganization
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Activity
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesDownload the file "Usage Notes for Marvel Gender Socialization Activity" for notes.
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Students will be able to analyze media images to gain knowledge of how they are socialized by media they consume.
- Students will be able to compare media portrayals of masculinity, femininity, womanhood, and manhood to cultural expectations of these concepts.
- Students will be able to make connections between media messages received during socialization and the social construction of reality.
- The instructor will lead a whole group discussion of student characterizations and what they mean during various points of this exercise. Students should be able to articulate messages they received from the images.
- Students will discuss as a whole group what their media images portray and how they are similar or different to cultural expectations.
- Students will vote by a raise of hands if they believe the social convention of femininity and masculinity is natural or arbitrary. The instructor will lead a whole group discussion of how gender roles and deviation from them is socially constructed.