AbstractThis activity integrates undergraduate and graduate Sociology students enrolled in different research methods courses through a semester-long, collaborative research project surveying a campus event. Although collaborative projects are not the norm in most American higher education institutions (Watermaurer and Obach 2007), collaborative projects are...
- Subject Area(s):
- Research Methods
- Resource Type(s):
- Assignment, Class Activity
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesWe designed this activity to be completed collaboratively by both undergraduate and graduate sections of research methods courses, although the structure of the project would also work well with introductory- and upper-level students. The project, while threaded through the semester, was low stakes and left ample time for other in-class activities, lab...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Undergraduate Learning Goals1. Write original survey questions2. Collect survey data using paper questionnaires3. Create a database using Microsoft EXCEL4. Use Microsoft EXCEL for basic statistical analysis, test hypotheses, and write up results
- Graduate Learning Goals1. Write an original questionnaire2. Use Microsoft EXCEL for basic statistical analysis, test hypotheses, and write up results3. Assume teaching or mentoring roles relative to survey research projects
- Overall Project Learning Goals1. Collaborate with students in other research methods courses to complete a survey project using a team-based approach
- Assessment of Undergraduate Learning Goals1. Review drafted survey questions2. Review collected questionnaires3. Review data entered by student groups4. Review homework and contributions to the final report
- Assessment of Graduate Learning Goals1. Review questionnaire2. Review homework and contributions to the final report3. Review revision of undergraduates’ drafted survey questions and mentoring during office hours or lab sessions
- Overall Project Assessments1. End-of-project reflection papers2. End-of-term, anonymous project evaluations