AbstractThe goal of this assignment is to investigate how the immigration experience touches communities, schools, and students. You will investigate whether being a newcomer to this country affects where students live and attend school, how the immigration experience shapes students’ achievement, educational attainment, and everyday school experiences; and what...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 400
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesSuggesting where to find particular sources was really important to students’ success on this assignment. That requires doing some advanced research on relevant websites, local libraries, and search terms (for online research) and providing the information to students so they know where to start looking. I use part of a class period to discuss each...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Understand the significance and meaning of immigration in local school communities;
- Connect and apply sociological theory and research on immigration to a local issue or problem;
- Develop research and writing skills
- Conduct original research on immigration in local schools, synthesize learning in a short academic paper;
- Conduct original research on immigration in local schools; summarize relevant sociological theory and academic research; show how local research findings support, challenge, or extend sociological theory and academic research in short academic paper;
- Conduct original research on immigration in local schools; present learning in short academic papers; explain and analyze course concepts and local research findings; provide evidence (quotes and examples) from readings and local research; revise.