AbstractStudents often have difficulty with major theoretical perspectives, specifically (1) what their purpose is and (2) keeping them straight in their minds. First, I use the Hubble Space Telescope as a parallel to these perspectives. Images of galaxies and planets viewed telescopes with different filters and lenses look drastically different in different...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Assignment, Image, Lecture
- Class Level(s):
- College 100
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesDownload files for detailed usage notes, associated images, and assignment.
Students in intro classes often have difficulty grasping and applying major theoretical perspectives such as Structural-Functionalism. This resource provides 2 ways of presenting these theories and an assignment to assess student learning.
1. The Hubble - This...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Demonstrate knowledge of major theoretical perspectives and their key points.
- To understand the purpose of the major theoretical perspectives and not just their content.
- First, have students create their own Twitter translations in groups and discussed as a class. Second, use short, frequent tests with items such as a pairing item or fill-in-the-blank. See full usage notes for more details.
- See attached assignment for example of a team project. This assignment can be easily adapted. Attached assignment has templates, implementation instructions, assignment, and rubric. See full usage notes for more details.