AbstractThis resource is a visual chart that illustrates the various holdings that Facebook has in different companies using each company's respective logo. By visualizing Facebook's corporate holdings, instructors are able to demonstrate how Facebook is becoming a social media conglomerate similar to Disney and other mega-media companies. Additionally, each...
- Subject Area(s):
- Communication and Information Technologies
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Activity
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesMedia conglomerates expand a company’s reach through two major processes. First, through horizontal integration, a company is able to monopolize a market at one level of production and consumption. Second, through vertical integration, a company is able to monopolize a market through multiple levels of production and consumption. When teaching horizontal...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Students will be able to articulate how a company benefits from acquiring other companies.
- Students will be able to define horizontal and vertical integration.
- By comparing and contrasting the known and unknown companies Facebook has purchased, students will realize Facebook’s power as a media conglomerate to monopolize the market.
- By individually identifying how the chart organizes Facebook’s holdings, then sharing with peers, students will understand the difference between horizontal and vertical integration