AbstractResearch papers have long been a staple of upper division sociology courses; however, this assignment combines sociological research with the creation and dissemination of a sociological infographic. An infographic is generally defined as data visualization with an emphasis on design, readability, and information usually containing pictures, graphs and...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 300
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesThe full instruction notes, assignment guides, and supporting documents are available to download. This is a semester long research project with milestone assignments throughout the semester. Students are required to submit a research proposal during week 4 so that their topic, methods, and plans can be evaluated before they begin the research. Next,...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Goal 1: Demonstrate the ability to conduct sociological research on a global social problem.
- Goal 2: Demonstrate the ability use technology to create new forms of sociological storytelling.
- Goal 3: Demonstrate the ability to engage in public sociology by disseminating their research.
- Assessment Goal 1: Evaluation of the ability to use library resources and the internet to collect sociological data and the ability to organize, evaluate, and select data that is appropriate for the infographic.
- Assessment Goal 2: Evaluation of the design, coherence, and readability of the infographic.
- Assessment Goal 3: Encouragement to share the infographic with other publics and individuals outside the university.