AbstractMany students who take a lower-level Marriage and Family course are interested in understanding their own family lives. This writing assignment helps develop the students’ initial curiosity into a deeper sociological understanding of their own parent-child relationships. Specifically, this assignment is designed to help students 1) understand different...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 200
- Class Size(s):
Learning Goals and Assessments
- To understand different methods of socialization and appropriately describe various types of parent-child interactions associated with those socialization methods.
- To compare and contrast the parenting behavior that the students (would) adopt as parents and the parenting behavior that they received as a child.
- To examine the extent and effects of the macro social forces on the micro level parenting behavior of an individual.
- In the form of a short paper (or essay) analyzing their parent-child interactions, how appropriately students can identify and describe different methods of socialization as they were employed by their parent(s).
- In the form of a short paper (or essay) how appropriately students can identify variables involved in the two types of parenting behaviors that they compare.
- In the form of a short paper (or essay) how appropriately students can identify various macro factors affecting the type of parenting behavior an individual would adopt in his/her relationship with his/her child.