AbstractThis assignment asks introductory sociology students to create a new biography and imagine how this change in their personal profiles affects their interests, predilections, goals, and opportunities. Comparison between the personas and projected outcomes of their other me with their true selves illuminates the way social forces shape their lives and...
- Subject Area(s):
- Introduction to Sociology/Social Problems
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 100
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesWithout students knowing the details of the assignment, I ask them to indicate their interests, likes, and goals on the "My Interests and Plans" handout. Students then complete the "My Biography" handout by answering some demographic questions. Since students are asked to divulge personal information in these handouts, I emphasize that nobody will see...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Goal 1: Students will articulate how larger social forces influence our preferences and the activities we pursue.
- Goal 2: Students will demonstrate how social forces impact our lives by limiting or creating opportunities.
- Goal 3: Students will gain a better understanding of the sociological imagination and its application to their personal situations.
- Assessment 1: Goal 1 is addressed by the written homework assignment, specifically question one. Questions four and five also address this goal.
- Assessment 2: Goal 2 is addressed by the written homework assignment, specifically questions two and three. Questions four and five also address this goal.
- Assessment 3: Goal 3 is addressed by questions four and five on the written homework assignment.