AbstractThis exercise involves the application of sociology of religion concepts (from the reading and a PowerPoint presentation) to selected clips from the film "The Mist." The key concepts for this session include: religiosity, secularization, charismatic leader, structural-functional and social-conflict approaches to religion, organizations of religion,...
- Subject Area(s):
- Introduction to Sociology/Social Problems
- Class Level(s):
- College 100
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesFollowing a 10-15 minute PowerPoint presentation of the concepts, I distribute the handout that describes the concepts we are looking for in the clips and the specific questions that they should be able to answer following the showing. One important point is to note the sudden violence that is shown in the second clip. I invite them to leave the room if...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Students can define fundamentalism, religiosity, secularization, charismatic leadership, and types of religious organization.
- Students can apply the above concepts to a film clip and answer each question on the class activity handout following the film clip viewing.
- Students provide definitions orally in class and by selecting appropriate answers during the multiple-choice exam.
- Application is assessed orally during class discussion and students receive class participation points for turning in their written responses to the handout questions.