AbstractYouTube is a potentially powerful resource for finding illustrations of what we are learning in this sociology class. For this assignment, students work in groups to find a YouTube video that illustrates a concept covered in class or readings during units on class, race, and gender. Commonly used concepts are: stereotypes, discrimination, gender...
- Subject Area(s):
- Introduction to Sociology/Social Problems
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 100
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesBecause this assignment requires students commit to a firm deadline, it works best to initiate this assignment and have students choose topics/deadlines early in the semester. Time limits on length of video can vary according to your in-class time needs. The maximum time I have allowed is five minutes, however most videos that students select are two to...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Accuracy of Explanation and Description of Concept
- Application and Analysis
- Quality of Discussion and Paper
- At a minimum, students must be able to explain and describe the concept that they are applying to their video. A simple reiteration of terms from the course material is considered to be the most basic, acceptable response. A clear explanation of the conce
- At a minimum, students must choose a video that shows a clear connection with the concept, and they must directly address this connection both in their presentation and the paper. Moving beyond the concrete ("B is an example of concept A") and discussing
- At a minimum, students must adhere to basic expectations for the mechanics of presentations (good preparation and organization, eye contact, clear enunciation, not reading from a script), have at least one discussion prompt to get conversation started, an