AbstractThe intention of this assignment is to consider the significance of social class in local school communities. You will investigate whether social class affects where students live and attend school, how social class shapes students’ achievement, educational attainment, and everyday school experiences; and what policies or reforms are being implemented in...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 400
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesSuggesting where to find particular sources was really important to students’ success on this assignment. That requires doing some advanced research on relevant websites, local libraries, and search terms (for online research) and providing the information to students so they know where to start looking. I use part of a class period to discuss each...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Understand the significance of social class in local school communities;
- Connect and apply sociological theory and research on social class to a local issue or problem;
- Develop research and writing skills
- Conduct original research on social class in local schools; synthesize learning in a short academic paper;
- Conduct original research on social class in local school communities; connect and compare original research findings to sociological theory and research presented in the course; present learning, position on problem in a short academic paper
- Conduct original research on social class in local school communities; present learning in two short academic papers; incorporate feedback from instructor, and revise research process and products accordingly