AbstractLaws have a profound and complex impact on our lives and those around us. In this assignment, students work with a fellow classmate to write a short, collaborative paper in which they will evaluate their experiences or perspectives with a law of their choosing in light of content presented in an assigned reading. Students pick a law that has had an impact...
- Subject Area(s):
- Political Sociology
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 100
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesFor an instructor working without teaching assistants with which to help distribute the work load involved in reading and grading the assignment, a class of no more than 50 students is recommended.
The grading rubric is provided for illustrative purposes and may be modified to suit the needs of the instructor, students, and program.
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Learn how your life (or that of others) has been affected by a law.
- Develop your sociological insight and critical thinking ability to identify power dynamics involved in a law that has affected you or others.
- Build your ability to use sociology by applying concepts and theories to making sense of laws and discovering ways to change laws in real life.
- The written assignment requires students to demonstrate reflection on personal experiences with a law of their choosing and how the law has affected them personally.
- The written assignment requires students to demonstrate sociological insight and critical thinking by applying course content to an approved law of their choosing.
- The written assignment requires students to actively apply sociological concepts and theories in their written responses.