AbstractThis collaborative content analysis activity requires students to analyze the representation of crime victims in stock photos using Google image search. Students will identify patterns in victim characteristics (e.g., gender, race, age) in the images. They will compare their observations to empirical patterns in victimization using National Crime...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Activity
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Learning Goals and Assessments
- 1. Identify patterns in crime victim imagery.
- 2. Interpret victimization data accurately.
- 3. Assess the consequences of gender- and racially disproportionate crime victim imagery.
- 1. Students will conduct a content analysis of images found in a Google image search of “victim stock photos,” with a focus on gender, race, and age representation, using a provided data collection table.
- 2. Students will answer handout questions about NCVS violent victimization rates by gender, race, and age, and they will compare them to crime victim imagery results.
- 3. In small-group discussions, students will list at least three potential consequences of gender- and racially disproportionate crime victim imagery.