AbstractI use this literature review activity for two capstone classes (Sociology and Political Science) where students must write a 15-20 research paper. The presentation and group activity below helps students better understand how to write an effective literature review and topic sentences. Working in teams, students reassemble an existing literature review...
- Subject Area(s):
- Capstone Courses
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Activity
- Class Level(s):
- College 400
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesAlthough I use this activity in capstone classes, this activity works great in any class where a student must write a literature review. Both Sociology and non-Sociology majors find this activity accessible. I use this in classes ranging from 8 to 27 students, and the activity works best in groups of no more than 6 students (3-4 seems to be the ideal...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Students will better understand how to organize a literature review.
- Students will better understand how to write topic sentences in their literature review.
- Students will learn to produce a stronger literature review for their capstone paper.
- Observe small-group discussions and group presentations.
- Group presentation of their topic sentences.
- Literature Review Draft #1 of their capstone paper.