AbstractThis assignment is designed for small, upper-level special topics courses for university undergraduates and graduate students. This assignment functions best in courses with regular assigned readings, and requires that instructors cultivate list of “recommended” or “companion” readings in parallel with assigned readings. Each student selects one reading...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 400
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesSee attached file: Usage Notes for Giving Students the Floor
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Practice writing and presenting on social science findings
- Situate a special topic reading within broader social science literature
- Develop/cultivate expertise on a special topic/reading
- Students must complete a 1-2 page summary of their selected reading.Students must give a 10-15-minute presentation on the content and importance of their reading and facilitate a class discussion on content, merits, and weaknesses of the reading.
- Students must include information on how and why their selected reading enhances or contradicts course lecture and reading material in both their summary and presentation.
- Students must field questions from their classmates and instructor on the content of their selected article.