AbstractWe assign #GetEngaged in Introductory Sociology to increase student engagement with campus and to help achieve institutional goals related to student retention. We select campus and community events for students to attend or participate in to get them more connected to their campus, community, or both. Students prepare an artifact that includes...
- Subject Area(s):
- Introduction to Sociology/Social Problems
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesWe both use the assignment differently. As such, we have included both a long version that Oslawski-Lopez uses and a short version that Medley-Rath uses.
We assign the project during the first or second week of the semester so that students can choose events at their convenience over the semester.
Some semesters, there is a campus event...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Goal 1: This assignment is designed to get first-year students involved in their campus and broader community.
- Goal 2: This assignment encourages students to apply sociological concepts and ideas to the real world.
- As a result of this assignment, students will be able to demonstrate civic engagement through participation in campus and community events.
- As a result of this assignment, students will be able to apply sociological ideas or concepts to everyday life.