This resources assists in teaching Medical Sociology students about common epidemiological measures and building a foundation for quantitative literacy. Following instructor set up of necessary skills, students complete the assignment provided. This assignment requires students to use a formula to calculate drug overdose death rates across two time...
- Subject Area(s):
- Medical Sociology
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 200, College 300
- Class Size(s):
- Medium, Small
The assignment includes data from the state my university is located in and two neighboring states. To be most relevant to your learning content, I recommend you modify the states in the data table to be relevant to the location of your university. This requires updating the table states and relevant state population and state drug death prevalence...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Calculate and interpret rates of disease.
- Compare and contrast common epidemiological measures.
- Draw accurate, sociological conclusions based on empirical disease and mortality data.
- Describe and interpret empirical data presented graphically.
- In-class discussion pre- and post- assignment allows evaluation of understanding.
- The assignment requires students to calculate rates of death across place and time, interpret, compare, and contrast mortality prevalence and rates, and interpret data displayed graphically.