AbstractThis is a simple assignment that requires students to write a paragraph linking a theoretical concept to a current event. Students learn: how to see theory in their everyday lives; how to apply and write about theory; how to discuss theory with their peers; and, how to use ASA style citations. I use this assignment in on-line courses, but also as a...
- Subject Area(s):
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesSee attached directions, rubric, and student example
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Goal 1: Students demonstrate understanding of concepts by recognizing in and applying them to current events.
- Goal 2: Students discuss current events with other students using diverse theoretical concepts and standpoints
- Goal 4: Students learn appropriate ASA citation techniques.
- Assessment 1: Students collect news sourced of current events and explain how that concept is reflected by or helps explain the current event.
- Assessment 2: Students constructively and analytically respond to peer applications.
- Assessment 3: Students accurately cite information sources in-text and format references in a list.