AbstractThis research assignment helps students to achieve two major objectives in an introductory sociology course: 1) identifying the causes and consequences of inequality in society and 2) demonstrating an understanding of the role of evidence in qualitative and quantitative research. The assignment has two parts: an interview and a research paper. First, each...
- Subject Area(s):
- Introduction to Sociology/Social Problems
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 200
- Class Size(s):
1. Students may conduct the interviews at any point in the term prior to when you need to organize the data for teaching analysis.
2. One class period is required to teach students how to analyze the data.
3. The paper should be due after you have covered content on racial and gender inequalities so that they can incorporate it...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- 1) Identify the existence of social divisions and inequalities in society.
- 2) Demonstrate the use qualitative and quantitative methods in sociological research.
- 1) Identification of social divisions and inequalities is assessed in the "Results" section of the research paper.
- 2) Demonstration of the use of qualitative and quantitative methods is assessed through the interview assignment, the creation of a table, and their discussion of methods in the research paper.