AbstractIn this activity, students will learn how to distinguish informal deviance from crime (formal deviance), as well as distinguish informal social sanctions from formal social sanctions. Students will also be called upon to identify the connection between social sanctions and social norms. Celebrity biographies are used to apply the concepts of deviance,...
- Subject Area(s):
- Deviant Behavior/Social Disorganization
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Activity
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Learning Goals and Assessments
- 1. Recognize the differences between deviance and crime.
- 2. Recognize the differences between informal social sanctions and formal social sanctions.
- 3. Understand the connection between social sanctions and social norms.
- 1. Correctly identifying instances of deviance and instances of crime.
- 2. Recognizing how celebrities were sanctioned for their acts of deviance and/or crime.
- 3. Explaining how sanctions enforce social norms.