AbstractHealth disparities continue to be a pressing problem in American society. Although this topic is often a fundamental concept for an introduction to sociology course or upper-level medical sociology course, there are few exercises available to show students real-world explanations of health disparities using an active learning framework. With this gap in...
- Subject Area(s):
- Medical Sociology
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Activity
- Class Level(s):
- Any Level
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesThis activity should take no more than 30 minutes in class and can be easily adjusted to fit an online modality. To begin, instructors should lecture on health disparities and provide empirical evidence of health disparities by race, class, and gender. I’ve attached PowerPoint for guidance. My slides are bit outdated by now, so I suggest instructors...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Introduce students to health disparities (remember).
- Critically analyze the ways in which geography exacerbates health disparities (analyze).
- Use google maps to analyze health disparities and provide policy solutions (apply).
- A short lecture and in-class activity.
- An in-class activity and future exam questions.
- A short take home assignment.