AbstractWith this assignment, we investigate gender socialization and consumption. Instructors may use this assignment in an introductory course, in sociology of family, or in a sociology of gender class. Students collect data at major retailers looking for reification of, or challenges to, the gender binary in the following products – children’s clothing,...
- Subject Area(s):
- Sex and Gender
- Resource Type(s):
- Class Level(s):
- College 200
- Class Size(s):
Usage NotesThere is limited and conflicting evidence that the market is responding to gender binary challenges by presenting gender-neutral or at least gender-sensitive children’s products. In 2015, Target Corporation announced it would eliminate "boys" and "girls" signs from its toys and bedding departments (Hains 2015). This move has been met with both praise and...
Learning Goals and Assessments
- Apply basic sociological concepts.
- Practice looking at mainstream market economy with sociological perspective.
- Understand gender socialization concepts by linking what students observe to course content.
- Application criterion on written paper rubric. Class discussion during student presentations.
- Application criterion on written paper rubric. Students tie their observations to course content, note social patterns in material and consumer culture.
- Applying gender concepts in analysis at the interaction and institutional levels in their papers and presentations.