1) Students will understand the difference between positive and negative deviance.2) Students will apply the knowledge of the concepts of positive and negative deviance to real world situations.
1) Students will take notes on a powerpoint explaining the terms.2) Students will write an essay or post a discussion thread defining the terms in their own words.
4) Students will understand that kindness beyond the norm is considered positive deviance.5) Students will identify acts of positive deviance that they could act upon.
3) Students will apply the people in the reading/podcast to their understanding of the terms in an essay or podcast.4) Students will develop a list of possible acts of positive deviant acts and act upon one.
6) Students will apply sociological imagination to determine how the activity shaped their thinking of norms and culture.
5 ) Students will recognize and record responses to the act (either in an essay or as a discussion post).6) Students will conclude their essay/discussion post with an account of how the experience influenced their thinking about norms and our culture.